March’s edition of share the love is a week earlier than I would normally do it but next Thursday I will be raving about how happy I am that my dissertation has been handed in!
My dissertation hand in date is next Monday so March has obviously been filled with a lot of work, and playing LEGO games on the Playstation with Daz as a way to chill out. Also, my furry little kitty cat moved in with us this month because he was missing me too much. I thought he would prefer to stay at my Mum’s because there’s loads of open space at the back of her house but there isn’t much here in comparison. He missed me too much though and we’re super happy to have him living with us / taking over the sofa.
BLOG – Not So Quiet Grrl
I feel like Nadia’s blog is exactly what I want to read at the moment. Not So Quiet Grrl covers being cruelty free, vegan, minimalism and her adventures into becoming zero waste. Her photos are stunning but what I love most of all is the way she writes because it feels like you’re having a conversation with her.
My favourite recent blog post of hers is about being a vegan advocate, but not one people back away from for fear they’ll be abused for their dietary choices, but one of education, encouragement and, most importantly, no judgement. I thought that blog post was a breath of fresh air and what some people could do with understanding. I get that people are passionate about things they believe in but making people feel bad that they’re not trying hard enough isn’t fair when everyone’s journey is personal and everyone has their own hurdles to jump.
- [VIDEO] 10 Tips to instantly take your photos from BASIC to BOSS – Mango Street | If there’s one thing I know about photography, it’s that I have so much to learn. I’m really enjoying watching photography videos at the moment, and Mango Street’s videos are really useful and pretty funny.
- 11 things I don’t buy, zero waste – Soph’s Choice | If you’re looking to reduce the amount of waste you’re sending to landfill, this is a really good list of every day things you can do away with and buy recyclable / sustainable versions of.
- How zero waste is technology – Going Zero Waste | As someone who is heavily reliant, dare I say mildly addicted, to technology this blog post was quite sobering. What bothered me even more was a comment on this post which discussed the very un-environmentally friendly and slavery like conditions technology can be manufactured in. In a society that is so dependent on technology, how do we address and overcome problems like that?
- 3 ways to have a less wasteful day – Not So Quiet Grrl | Some simple swaps we can make to reduce waste.
- T. J. Maxx and the opposite of shoplifting – The Everywhereist | I have been following Geraldine’s blog for at least five years and near enough every post makes me laugh, but this one had me almost in stitches. I can’t say I’ve ever been in the same situation, but if I was I know my brain would think exactly the same things.
- The art of forgiveness – My Lovelier Days | “The truth is, whether you choose to forgive someone or not you have no control over whether they hurt you.” This.
- Is marine tourism in Hawaii sustainable? – Airplanes and Avocados | Emily shares a really interesting and eye-opening term paper about the problems associated with marine tourism in Hawaii.
I went to see All Time Low earlier this month so they’ve featured heavily in this month’s playlist (I am loving their new stuff), along with Lindsay Ell. I saw Lindsay support The Band Perry about three years ago (I wrote about that here) and I am so excited that she’s finally put an EP out. If you’re missing Taylor Swift’s country-pop then I really think Lindsay can do a great job of filling that gap. Listen to Criminal and tell me it doesn’t sound like it fits in perfectly with Red. I dare you.
WATCHING / PLAYING
I watched Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things on Netflix last weekend and really enjoyed it. If you want to find out more about minimalism, it’s a great starting point. Mostly, we’ve been playing LEGO Jurassic Park and Harry Potter this month.
POPULAR POSTS ON GIRL IN AWE IN MARCH
- Anna and the French Kiss Tour de Paris
- Why Llangrannog should be on your list of Welsh beaches to visit
- My favourite cruelty free brands [I need to update this.]
- The Glenfiddich distillery tour
- 12 foot stomping country songs [I’m guessing this was because of the Country2Country festival. I totally stand by this list still.]
How was March for you? Feel free to share links 🙂